Thursday, April 2, 2009

A not so Imaginative Bridge: Education and Fashion

Okay, so this is definitely not the kind of imaginative bridge that we are supposed to be making, but...

I was watching Inside Edition tonight (or actually it was on while I was doing some other things), and I noticed that they spent an awful lot of time talking about Michelle Obama's fashion. From inauguration day, I feel like I have heard about this non-stop. I can not ever remember a first-lady's fashion getting this much attention. What makes people so obsessed with her fashion? It is obviously that Americans feel like they can relate to her. J. Crew is constantly selling out of clothes that the Obama's wear. Is fashion important for all leaders? If so, since we are leaders as teachers, is our fashion important?

As a fairly young teacher, I still wear many of the same clothes that my middle school kids wear. Many of the older teachers obviously do not. For example, we have all seen cheesy Christmas sweaters (actually, some teachers have these sweaters for every holiday). I have no problem with these, and actually cannot wait until I feel old enough to pull it off without being laughed at by kids. But does what we wear affect students' connection with us, like what Michelle Obama wears connects Americans with her?

3 comments:

Abbie S. said...

I’ve noticed the same thing with Michelle Obama. I even thought that our new president, her husband, has taken a back seat to her fashion. What she wore today, yesterday, to meet the queen, to the parade, the inauguration etc. I agree, as a “younger” person, that we have not seen such emphasis in our life time, but I think that the same may have been true of Jackie Onasis Kennedy. But she was more just a fashion and social icon rather than a woman with purpose and directives for our country. Maybe I’m wrong.
I remember when I was an undergrad and I was told to dress extra professionally to make up for my age and lack of experience. At the time because it would deceive kids. I thought that that would be a good idea at the time because perception is reality, right?! However, kids can't be fooled, they can see through such things. They don't care if I'm in a suit or really casual, if I don't have a good lesson or classroom management- I'm not effectively doing my job. I also realized that my jeans and t-shirt/hoodie wardrobe was not going to transform any time quickly into pant suits, jackets, and dresses! I even think that at first, I was more uncomfortable in my clothes than in teaching. Eventually, I realized that I could be professional and exert my own personal style at the same time. With that, I found that kids connected to me and almost trusted me more. I always thought my teachers seemed stuffy and crotchety in their frocks, teacher sweaters and suits.
Back to The First Lady…
I could be wrong for saying this, but I think that the media publicizes so heavily on Mrs. Obama to connect her to more of the general (and minority) American public than in the past. Possibly to move Americans unlikely to be political because they felt that our country’s leaders and politicians were nothing like them and knew or understood little of their world. By publicly labeling her as classy, sensible, and “regular”, she becomes more easy to associate with… not stuffy and crotchety like past First ladies or like my old teachers.
I also can’t fail to mention the effect on our suffering economy. If we wear what Michelle wears or even shop at the same stores, an icon already, we may feel better, more successful or like “change” is occurring; Is perception realty?! Plus, the increase in “need” for J. Crew and such stores stimulates the economy.

MaryL said...

I am guilty of loving the images of the first lady. She looks good and she makes me feel good about myself. I think she is uplifting in these depressing times. She is healthy and intelligent. She appears to have it all. She is a magnificent representation of the American woman. She is inspiring. I would like to be that for my students.

Caroline L said...

So ladies, I think its because Michelle and her husband President Obama are ROCK STARS! hahahaha.
I believe it is the external connection we are portraying to the kids when we "dress" like them. Similarly I think Michelle Obama is making that connection with her country men and women displaying her class and normality to dress elegantly...